Criteria for CM Approval
- Criteria for the content of CM activities: Activities must (a) meet a planning-related objective, (b) be unbiased and non-promotional and (c) communicate a clearly identified educational purpose or objective.
- Criteria for the delivery of CM activities: Activities must (a) be lead by one or more experts on the subject matter discussed, (b) use learning methodologies and formats that are appropriate to the activity's educational purpose, (c) involve the use of materials that do not include proprietary information, (d) be timed in a manner consistent with the time for which the activity was registered for CM credit (75 minutes = 1.25 CM credits) and that only the portion of the activity meeting CM criteria is registered for CM credit.
- Criteria for the administration of CM activities: Activities must (a) use mechanisms to record attendance and evaluate the content, (b) have a point of contact that is responsible for the proper administration of the CM activity.
For Ethics: Presenters must demonstrate that the content of the activity focuses on training planners on the standards of ethical behavior according to the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct. While general ethics courses, local ethics laws, and ethic codes from other professions can introduce relevant issues as well, the AICP Code focuses on a system of moral principles specific to professional planners.
For Law: Presenters must demonstrate that the content of the activity is related to existing planning laws or case decisions or trends in existing planning laws or case decisions. Political movements, policy recommendations, and policy initiatives are not "current planning law." Existing planning laws or case decisions must clearly constitute a majority of the content of the activity.
What kinds of educational activities are eligible for CM credit?
All types, for example:
• Face-to-face or real-time activities
• Distance learning activities
• Conferences • CD-ROMs
• Audio/web conferences • Online courses
• Workshops (including mobile workshops)
• Podcasts, telecasts, or other
• Lectures, keynote speeches, and symposia
• Downloadable recordings
• University courses
• Book clubs and facilitated discussions
What information will I need to register my activity for CM credit?
Please see the Session Submittal Form.