As planners, we are obligated to reach beyond our expertise to make informed decisions. Recognizing that our field of work leaves lasting impressions on the built environment, the Colorado Chapter of the American Planning Association considers continuing education one of the essential components of its larger mission. The Professional Development Committee focuses our efforts on building the capacity of Colorado professionals to ultimately improve the quality of life in communities throughout the state and the nation. The committee’s core values are achieved by working directly with Chapter members to:
1. Encourage and promote continuing education and professional development for Chapter members;
2. Act as liaison with planning programs in institutions of higher education in the state;
3. Advise prospective members of AICP as to the qualifications, purposes, and programs of the AICP;
4. Inform members and assist in the interpretation of the Chapter’s “Ethical Principles in Planning” and the “AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct”; and
5. Inquire into the conduct of individual members with regard to professional ethics and make appropriate recommendations for action by the Board.
Throughout the year, the Professional Development Committee serves emerging and seasoned planners by providing workshops and preparation materials for prospective AICP exam candidates, ensuring Chapter events qualify for and obtain continuing education credits (CMs), organizing and hosting events using varying technologies, and building on the synergy of the mission of the APA Colorado Chapter and Colorado’s institutes of higher learning. We warmly welcome your feedback on how the Professional Development Committee can continue to add value to the Chapter and its members.
Sarah R. Davis, AICP
Professional Development Officer
303.830.2890 ext. 23