Article

Board Minutes 03-07-2014

APA Colorado Board Meeting Minutes
Friday March 7, 2014

CDOT Headquarters
Denver, CO 

The meeting was called to order by President, Susan Wood at 2:00 p.m.

Roll Call:
Present:  Susan Wood, President; Stan Clauson, President Elect; Jessica Ibanez, VP External Affairs; T.J. Dlubac, VP Communications; ;Jessica Osborne, Metro Representative; Lor Pelligrino, South Central Representative; Rebecca Levy, Northwest Representative; Tamra Allen, Central Mountain Representative; Seth Lorson, North Central Representative; Paul Rosenberg, Public Official Representative; Carrie Makarewicz, Faculty Representative; James Cramer, Student Representative; Eric Heil, Legislative Committee Co-Chair; and Julio Iturreria, Western Planner Representative.

Absent Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer; Tareq Wafaie, Professional Development Officer; Erica Heller, Metro Representative; Chris Hawkins, Southwest Representative; and Dan Bush, Legislative Committee Co-Chair.

Guests:  David Krutsinger and Mark Imhoff with CDOT.

Staff

1. Opening Remarks – Susan Wood, President

Susan thanked CDOT for hosting the meeting. She reminded everyone of the upcoming Transportation Symposium on April 4th.

2. CDOT Presentation: Statewide Planning Studies and Transit & Rail Projects – David Krutsinger and Mark Imhoff, CDOT

Susan introduced David Krustinger, Rail & Special Projects Manager and Mark Imhoff, Divisions of Transit & Rail Division Director with the Colorado Department of Transportation. The Division of Transit & Rail was established in 2009 under Senate Bill 09-094 and has an annual budget of $30 million a year. Mr. Krutsinger then introduced the Interregional Express Bus Plan. The first leg is shown from Fort Collins to Denver Union Station. This leg will run five round trips on week days and estimates 171 – 257 passengers a day. The second route is between Colorado Springs and Denver Union Station. It will run six round trips on week days and is estimated to have between 371 and 556 passengers a day. The last route is called the Mountain Corridor Plan and runs along I-70 between Glenwood Springs and Denver Union Station with stops at Vail Frisco and Denver Federal Center. This route will have one round trip on week days with an estimated ridership of 18 and 36 passengers a day. They then discussed the Bus-On-Shoulder Policy Development which would allow buses to run on shoulders of congested facilities during peak times to provide transit travel time benefit. This is currently being tested on the I-70 Mountain Corridor. Next they discussed the Statewide Transit Plan which will be an element of the Statewide Transportation Plan. It will have a 25 year horizon and will be the first ever in Colorado.

3. Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer

a. February 5, 2014 Minutes
Shelia introduced the February minutes. James noted a “?” sign in the job shadowing paragraph and Shelia said she would correct that. Susan then asked that language in the paragraph on the endorsement of national candidates be modified in relation to the APA President having control of state chapters. Shelia said she would modify the statement to read more clearly.

Motion Stan to approve the minutes with the changes noted in discussion.
Second by TJ
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

b. February 2014 Financial Report
Shelia reviewed the February financial report. She stated that February had a net income of $14,103.54 with a total income of $20,898.50 and total expenses of $6,794.96. Shelia informed the Board that the first membership rebate from APA National $13,557.42 was posted in February and included a rebate correction for 2013 in the amount of $6,773.31.

Motion by TJ to approve the February 2014 financial report.
Second by James.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

4. Chapter Administrator Report – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

a. Crested Butte Conference
Shelia summarized the current conference planning activities. Shelia stated she had done her initial site visit in February. She informed the Board that the grand ball room and breakout sessions will be in two different locations. She also relayed that the hotel restaurant is expensive with slow service and many of the restaurants may be closed during the conference. She then relayed her bad experience with registration and billing.
Shelia then informed the Board that Bill Anderson, APA President has been confirmed as the Thursday morning keynote speaker. The Local Host Committee is searching for someone to fill a noon start on Wednesday and if there is money and time, there may also be a speaker to close on Friday. Shelia also said the call for sessions and award nominations is open with the deadline for both being March 28th. The opening reception has been booked for the Heritage Museums in downtown Crested Butte. An informal Pub Crawl event has been slated for Friday night.

b. National Reception
Shelia stated that the venue for the National Reception in Atlanta has been narrowed to two venues. APA NM has confirmed they would like to partner again and APA UT is working to get Board approval of the partnership.

c. Other
Shelia summarized upcoming events and also offered that the final payment on the website design had been made. She then relayed that the Nominating Committee had their first conference call and will begin soliciting members to run for the three offices up for election this year - VP Communications, South Central Area, Southwest Area and Denver Metro Area B Representatives. TJ and Lor will both run for reelection. Chris has chosen not to run for Southwest Area Representative again and has started recruiting to fill his position. Jessica O. is currently undecided. The Committee will bring a ballot to the Board in April.

5. Old Business

a. PIC Update and Financial Reports– Susan Wood, President; Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer
Susan and Eric began the discussion by reminding the Board of past activity reviewing the PIC Board, bylaws and activities and the previous discussions regarding future steps. At this time, the recommendation has been to dissolve the current PIC Board. Eric will continue to work on this and bring it back to the Board at a future date.

Shelia then summarized the PIC financial reports for 2011, 2012, and 2013. She noted that no action was needed at this time, but that she and Joni wanted to bring the reports to the Board.

b. Quarterly Strategic Plan Review – Susan Wood, President
Susan summarized the various actions with the strategic plan. She noted the many things the Board had done over the past year, meeting several of the plan’s goals. She also highlighted areas that needed more attention.

6. New Business

a. Travel Policy – Susan Wood, Chapter President
Susan said she had not drafted the policy but would work to get them back to the Board. Becky volunteered to work on the policies with Susan. The Board discussed how the travel policies and the financial policies were similar in nature and agreed that the two groups should work together. Tamra volunteered to work with Joni and Shelia on the financial policies.

7. Committee Updates:

a. APAS Student Committee – James Cramer, Student Representative
James discussed the Job Shadowing program and the proposed APAS and APA CO happy hour and meeting in April.

b. Awards Committee - Anna Gagne, Committee Chair
No report.

c. Bylaws Committee – Stan Clauson, Committee Chair
No report.

d. Emerging Professional Planners –Deryn Wagner, Committee Chair
TJ informed the Board that some of the EPP members would be meeting with Stan, Shelia, Susan and himself after the Board meeting to discuss EPP’s ties to APA Colorado. He summarized the events the group has planned and their desire to stay active.

e. Legislative Committee - Eric Heil and Dan Bush, Co-chair
Eric talked about the Committee activities to date. He noted that a TIFF bill had been hinted at but had not yet dropped. He stated that CCI is proposing the bill but CML is opposed to it.

f. Nominating Committee – Seth Lorson, Committee Chair
Shelia reminded the Board that the Committee is soliciting candidates and will return in April with a ballot.

g. Outreach & Communications Committee - TJ Dlubac and Jessica Ibanez, Committee Co-Chairs
Jessica I. said they are working on marketing materials.

h. PIC Review Committee, TBD
No report.

i. Professional Development Committee – Tareq Wafaie, Committee Chair
Tareq provided the below report.

Professional Development Committee Inaugural Meeting a. Geared up for conference session reviews in April b. Roundtable discussion of 2014 committee goals highlights: i. Enhanced ethics sessions ii. Alliance with other groups iii. Connections to UCD’s new programs – celebrate successes with APA iv. Include more information on our section of the website 2. Spring Exam Prep Workshop (subcommittee Erin, Scott, and Tareq) a. Distributed survey to potential exam takers (54 people) to see what day they prefer and location preference. i. 32 responses so far! (60% response rate) ii. Session will be held either April 11th or April 12th. (friday vs. saturday) iii. Venue TBD, but will be in Central Denver. b. Erin and Tareq will present the bulk of the workshop, with assistance from one or two representatives from functional areas of expertise (transportation or environmental). c. Reaching out to New Mexico Chapter to attend the workshop. Already in contact with the PDO there. 3. AICP scholarship a. One scholarship was awarded for the May 2014 testing window. b. We have one additional scholarship available for Nov. 2014 window. 4. PDO can audit the AICP exam in May 2014 a. Cost is $70. Needs board approval? b. Tareq would like to do this to better assist chapter members that are preparing for the exam. 5. DCI conference in September a. Fort Collins – Venue TBD b. Tareq is on conference planning committee i. first meeting was held Feb. 28th ii. working closely with DCI as representative of APA (and Clarion)

j. Sponsorship Committee - Erica Heller, Committee Chair
No report.

k. Sustainability Committee - Erica Heller, Board Liaison
No report.

8. Board Member Updates:

9. Other Business - None

Meeting ended at 4:10 p.m.

APPROVED June 6, 2014
 

Committee: 

More

Like us on FacebookFacebook
Visit our timeline for info, updates, and events.

Follow us on TwitterTwitter
Follow us @APAColorado1 on Twitter.

 

Subscribe to RSS FeedRSS Feed
Subscribe to our article feed using your favorite RSS reader.

Join us on LinkedInLinkedIn
Join our network on LinkedIn.

Contact Us