Article

Board Minutes 06-05-2015

APA Colorado Board Meeting Minutes
Friday June 5, 2015

Sheraton Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Springs, CO

12:30 pm – 1:30 pm

1. Sheraton Conference Center Tour – Lucy Shemilt Murphy, Group Sales Manager and Kelly Brown, Director of Catering
Lucy Murphy and Kelly Brown gave the attending Board members a tour of the meeting rooms and lodging rooms.
Attending: Stan, Susan, Jessica, Joni, Tareq, Paul, Julio, Toby and Eric
 

2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

The meeting was called to order by President, Stan Clauson at 2:07 p.m.

Roll call:
PresentStan Clauson, President; Susan Wood, Past President; Jessica Ibanez, VP External Affairs;  Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer; Tareq Wafaie, Professional Development Officer; Paul Rosenberg, Public Official Representative; Libby Tart-Schoenfelder, Metro Representative; Erica Heller, Metro Representative; Seth Lorson, North Central Representative; Toby Stauffer, Northwest Representative; Carrie Makarewicz, Faculty Representative; Caeli Hill, Student Representative; Eric Heil, Legislative Committee Chair and Julio Iturreria, Western Planner Representative.

Absent:  Tamra Allen, Central Mountain Representative; Russ Forrest, Southwest Representative; Sarah R. Davis, EPP Representative; TJ Dlubac, VP of Communications and Kit Rupe South Central Representative.

Guests

Staff: Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

1. Opening Remarks – Stan Clauson, President

Stan welcomed everyone. He noted those in attendance had been given a nice tour of the conference center and hotel.

a. Appointment Filling South Central Area Representative Vacancy
Stan said that Kit Roupe had been elected in 2015 as the South Central Area Representative. At the same time she had run for state representative and won that seat as well. She had hoped to be able to fulfill both positions but had found herself overwhelmed and recently resigned from the Board position. A call for interested persons was emailed to all members in the South Central Area and two letters of interest were received. According to the Bylaws, the President makes the appointment which is ratified by the Board. Stan stated he wished to appoint Wade Burkholder to fulfill the term and asked for the Board’s ratification of the appointment.

Motion by Eric to ratify the appointment of Wade Burkholder to fulfill the remainder of the South Central Area Representatives term. (Exp. 2016)
Second by Paul
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

Stan informed the Board that there will be a second round of grants for health related funding. He reminded the Board that the Chapter wasn’t successful in their first application for the grants and asked if the Board and Health Committee wished to pursue a second round. He noted that Erica had done most, if not all, of the work on the last round. He closed by stating that if anyone was interested in pursuing the grant, they should contact him.

Stan closed his remarks by saying that good progress had been made on the PlanFinder tool and that the committee would give a full report later in the meeting.

2. Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer

a. May 2015 Minutes
Joni asked for comments corrections. Shelia said she would add David’s last name to the attendance section. Paul said he called in and the attendance section needs to be changed to reflect that.

Motion by Paul to approve the May 2015 minutes with noted corrections.
Second by Susan
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

b. May 2015 Financial Report
Joni introduced the May financial report. She summarized the report noting a net loss of $28,856.81 but most of it attributed to the pass-through of the Transportation Symposium funds and expenses. She reminded the Board that $35,000 was moved to savings the previous month in order to be consistent with the financial policies. Paul said he had difficulty comparing this year’s income and expenditures to last years. He noted that the events line item was $30,000 over and Shelia said that was attributed to the Transportation Symposium. Jessica asked if Joni was comfortable with the way the Transportation Symposium was handled in the books asking if the event should have been done outside the Chapter’s budget. Joni and Shelia agreed that the next time it should be examined as a possibility. Paul asked if the Chapter was still in good standing since it seems to be ahead this year and Joni attributed the balance to sponsorship payments coming in earlier this year. Stan asked that the events line item or others that seem to be larger discrepancies be split out for further detail for future reports.

Motion by Toby to accept the May 2015 financial report.
Second by Tareq
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

3. Chapter Administrator Report – Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator

a. 2017 Conference Update
Shelia said she would review the conference later in the agenda when the Local Host Committee arrived.

b. Other
Nothing

4. Old Business - None

5. New Business

a. 2015 APA Colorado Election Ballot – Seth Lorson, Nominating Committee
Seth reviewed the list of nominees. He discussed the issue and impact that the change in area boundaries may have on candidate placement. Stan said he got an email from National noting that three candidates had not submitted their statement. National will extend the deadline to the following Monday. Stan noted that there are at least two candidates for each position except for the Northwest Area where there is only one. Tareq gave compliments to the nominating committee for all the work.

Motion by Eric to approve the 2015 APA Colorado Ballot
Second by Joni
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

b. 2015 APA Colorado Chapter Awards – Anna Gagne, Awards Committee Chair
Stan introduced Anna Gagne. Anna reviewed the nominations and those selected as winners. She noted the Committee received more than in the last seven years and all of the nominations were well put together. The committee added more members, creating a more statewide view of the applications. She noted the doubling of nominations and doubling of committee members over the past two years. The Committee is recommending five (5) Merit and five (5) Honor awards. She reviewed all the recommendations with the Board an asked for comments. She then discussed the Planning Leadership Award and asked for the Board’s input. Susan asked about the criteria for the award and Anna reviewed them with the Board. The Committee’s question regarded “statewide significance of work and involvement in APA Colorado.” After much discussion, Anna asked the Board if the Committee should recommend the applicant to resubmit next year and address all the criteria. The consensus of the Board was to recommend resubmittal of the application.

Motion by Tareq to accept the recommendations of the Awards Committee for five (5) Merit and five (5) Honor awards
Second by Paul
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

Stan noted that during the tour the Board looked a possible reception venues and hoped to have a location where the Chapter can recognize winners, have fun but remain courteous.

c. Conference Registration Fees Stepped Increase – Joni Marsh, Secretary/Treasurer and Shelia Booth, Chapter Administrator
Joni said at the last meeting the Board discussed a possible early bird pricing structure. Shelia & Joni presented a spreadsheet showing 10%, 20% and 30% use of the Early Bird pricing and how it might affect income. Paul recommended making the regular rate higher to compensate. Many on the Board thought most of the membership would utilize the Early Bird Pricing structure. Some thought the Early Bird price should be offered for more than two weeks. The consensus was to run Early Bird pricing for four weeks. The current fee will be the Early Bird price and the Regular Rate will be 25% higher than Early Bird – approximately $340 for APA Member full conference registration. Late and onsite will start at $380.

Motion by Eric to implement the new conference fee structure
Second by Susan
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous

6. Committee Updates:

a. APAS Student Committee – Caeli Hill, Student Representative
David said the students are having a good summer and he will be meeting with Caeli to do the transfer. He said he was excited to help with the conference.

b. CPC Grant Project Committee – Jessica Ibanez
Jessica said that the PlanTool contract with UIS was approved at the last meeting and the Committee had a project kick off meeting a week after. A beta version will be available for a small committee in a few weeks, and will then be sent to a larger group to do some data entry so that when the program is released it’s not empty. The launch will be done at the conference.

c. Emerging Planning Professional – Sarah Davis, Committee Co-Chair
Stan shared the EPP update email he received from Sarah. The committee continues to work on the Mentorship program. The second firm tour took place took place at Clarion Associates. The EPP/APAS/MURPA graduates happy hour at Stout Street Social was successful. They plan to do more outreach to the students. The RFQ/RFP workshop had 10 attendees with all sides of the process discussed and presented. Future EPP events include a PUMA firm tour June 22nd at 5:00 p.m. and the EPP picnic and elections in July.

d. Healthy Communities Initiative Committee – Erica Heller
Stan noted that the second round of funding is coming about and asked if Erica and the Committee were interested. Erica said she was going to discuss it with her group. She said she hadn’t received feedback from the original applications and that might help them decide if they wanted to apply again.

e. Legislative Committee - Eric Heil, Co-chair
Eric said the legislative session is over and was kind of lack-luster. The urban renewal law was signed into effect. There might still be conversations about doing the studies. There might be follow up legislation to define and clarify the new law. Paul noted the bill regarding construction defects was defeated in committee. The red light camera bill was vetoed by the Governor as he said it was a local issue and not a statewide issue.

Eric then said he was interested in having a co-chair and if anyone was interested they should contact him. The Committee will work to get the legislative survey out this summer so they can talk about it at the conference. He said there were 4-8 participants in the meetings which made it difficult to divvy up the bills to review. He will be moving to Avon so he needs someone in the Denver area to be able to head up to the capital as needed. Susan said she would like to stay involved and would like to form a plan to reinvigorate the committee. Stan asked if Susan would be interested in serving as co-chair and she said yes but would like to discuss it further. Eric would like to have the co-chair take on the Planner’s Day at the Capital. Toby suggested sending an email out to those that don’t win the upcoming elections and ask them to get involved in the committees. Carrie noted that some students might be interested in helping out and David agreed. Susan said that in the past during new student orientation, members of APA Colorado had spoken and that was a good opportunity to talk about the Chapter volunteer and committee opportunities.

f. Nominating Committee – Seth Lorson and Libby Tart-Schoenfelder
No further reports.

g. Outreach & Communications Committee –Jessica Ibanez and TJ Dlubac, Committee Co-Chairs
Jessica said the Committee met in person a few weeks prior with 8 people in attendance. The newsletter will be distributed in a few days. TJ is trying to set up a small group to do a website audit and the Committee will be the test users for PlanFinder.

h. PIC Review Committee, Eric Heil
No report.

i. Professional Development Committee – Tareq Wafaie, Committee Chair
Tareq said this is an interim period between exams. He emailed those that took the May exam and said most people passed. Most people said the cram sessions are great, but they’d like to have a session further away from the exam date. So, they will offer a summer session in conjunction with the spring and fall. Some of the respondents said they preferred Planetizen over the APA online training. He will be passing along their comments to AICP.

j. Sustainability Committee – Libby Tart Schoenfelder, Board Liaison
No report.

7. Board Member Updates: None

Julio said the Western Planner Conference is Aug 18th-21st in Laramie, WY. The Early Bird rate is $275 and standard rate is $300. He has not heard any more from the Board about a potential 4-corners conference. Stan asked if the digital push got more membership, and Julio said he would check with the next meeting.

Stan reviewed the upcoming items and said he will be recommending changes to the Chapter Administrator contract from an hourly to salary position. Stan said he would work on a Boulder location. The August 7th meeting is in Aspen and he is working on a room block and camping locations for those interested in staying over.

Shelia then updated the Board on the Steamboat Conference planning. She said she will be working with APA National to get registration online. The goal was to have the registration live on June 13, but the new registration software still isn’t completed so it has been pushed back to June 20. The preliminary program will be posted online just before registration goes live. She will advertise the new Early Bird pricing structure. She reminded the Board to start making their sponsorship calls.

8. Other Business – None

Meeting ended at 3:42 p.m.

Motion by Jessica to adjourn.
Second by Tareq.
Discussion: None
Vote: Unanimous
 

Committee: 

More

Like us on FacebookFacebook
Visit our timeline for info, updates, and events.

Follow us on TwitterTwitter
Follow us @APAColorado1 on Twitter.

 

Subscribe to RSS FeedRSS Feed
Subscribe to our article feed using your favorite RSS reader.

Join us on LinkedInLinkedIn
Join our network on LinkedIn.

Contact Us